So it has been about one year ago this week that Kay and I decided to start trying for a baby. We have had our ups and downs, but through all of it I have never doubted that he is the love of my life. We had no idea that a year after deciding to start trying we would be saving up to travel to India to have a surrogate carry our child to term. Its amazing what can happen in a year.
What we knew at the time
- That adoption was an option for us and we were OK with that
- That even though I had never tried to conceive getting pregnant would be hard
- That my medical history made carring to term possibly risky
- That to make up for the lack of children we would get a third cat
- That we were both OK with the idea of never being parents, and instead "traveling and living an adult life" was a possible idea.
What we didn't know
- We didn't know that it would take so long to see a specialist, let along 3
- We didn't know that my Semen allergy was not treatable by a few pills
- We didn't know that we would have to see more then 1 fertility specialist because my conditions are so rare.
- We didn't know that our attempt to adopt would hurt us so bably when we found out we couldn't
- We didn't know it was so expensive to receive fertility treatments in Canada
- We didn't know that it would be so hard to have people start asking us when we were going to start having babies.
- We didn't know that Lee (our rescue kitty) is extremely violent to all cats except Newman (our other kitty), so no third cat.
We have learned
- We have learned that we need to be open and honest with each other even if we disagree
- We have learned that we are truly in love and there to support each other no matter how our lives change.
- We have learned that after 1 blood test I don't bruise but after 6 in 2 weeks I look like a drug addict
- We have learned that the medical system in Canada is set on preventing pregnancy not encouraging it.
- We have learned that my family has been extremely understanding about our infertility
- We have learned that there is an amazing support network among the Infertile Community
- We have learned that it really is important to us to have a family
- We have learned that where there is a will there is a way, and i will find it!
- We have learned that the few friends I have confided in about our infertility are so amazing and supportive, one even cried when I told her.
- We have learned that we are OK with only 2 cats. Three would only mean more kitty litter.
Finally I have learned on several occasions that if a Doctor tells you it will not hurt, unless they have a cervix, they have no idea if its going to hurt.
On a lighter side I am doing much better. I feel better after the weekends events and am even getting excited about the new baby in our family. I even went out and bought A a baby gift , the Baby Bullet. I know its gonna be hard but a close friend gave me this advice; "Shes not doing it to you on purpose, try and be happy for her and think about the joy of this future little one". My adopted Aunty Sally gives great advise. Thanks all for your support! Oh and I don't have to do the baby shower, I was told in a text that she didn't want me to host it, instead she will wait for her sister, J, living in Singapore to come back and throw her a shower. Skippy for me I just have to go!
Isn't it amazing the amount of things you learn through this journey? It's unbelievable how many things can change within a year. We're at the stage we're we are now learning about Government red tape - something simple as applying for an Indian Visa flipped me out.....but if these are the hardest things we need to face - then the future can only look bright!. X
ReplyDelete